Trojan Journalism

A look inside the Auburn Dream Center

Amber Penick

Helping the Puget Sound community region, the Auburn Dream Center provides many people with everyday necessities.

Office Administrator Hannah Kercher has worked at the Dream Center for two years. She said that the first time she found out about the Dream Center was for an assignment she did for her Psychology class. “When I arrived at the Dream Center,” she said, “I realized I wanted to be there all the time.”

The Auburn Dream Center, led by Executive Director Rick Cameron, has been around for seven years and is located at Grace Community Church. They have many programs that assist those in need, such as the homeless drop in center, Metro kids, Adopt-a-Block and Praise and Worship.

The homeless drop in center is open every Tues. and Sat. for the homeless to do laundry, watch TV, use a computer, eat a meal and take a shower. The Dream Center provides the homeless with many needed resources, food and clothing. They work to help get the homeless off the streets.

Metro-kids takes place at 30th and M St. They take a truck filled with food and set out food for the community. They cook hot dogs for the neighborhood and share bible lessons with the kids in the area. They also play, sing and give out snack bags.

The Adopt-a-Block program occurs every Sat. Those who volunteer, bag groceries. After the groceries are bagged, volunteers go out to apartments, hotels or low income neighborhoods and give out groceries door to door.

Praise and Worship goes on for approximately one hour on Wed. Random people from the community come together and one person plays the guitar while others sing worship music. They give out hot dogs while singing and anyone can fill out a prayer card to receive prayer from the Dream Center.

Though only three people work at the Dream Center, a large number of  volunteers allow these programs to go on. “If I had to guess,” Mrs. Kercher said, “the Dream Center maybe gets 20 to 30 volunteers a week.”

The Dream Center has special events that go on once each year. These events include the Metro kids Easter egg hunt, Back to School backpacks and a Thanksgiving dinner at Grace Community Church.

Their programs allow people to connect with others in the community. Mrs. Kercher joked and said that one of the benefits of working at the Dream Center was the “free bread,” but she said the sense of “fulfillment” is the real benefit.

Most of the resources the Dream Center has were donated from different organizations. These organizations include local churches, Lifegate, Union Gospel Mission and Praisealujah. These churches tend to donate money along with many other goods.

It costs about $57,000 to run the Dream Center a year with utilities and gas for driving to different locations. The Dream Center receives grants and donations, giving them about $200,000 a year to help run the organization.

Though the Dream Center already participates in many projects, they still have plans to grow as an organization. These plans include offering counseling, starting a youth group, getting a bigger building, being open more often and fitting more people into the Dream Center.  Mrs. Kercher said by achieving their future plans, the Dream Center will be able to reach out more in the community and grow as an organization.