No headphone policy strictly enforced this year

Brittany Press

Ryan Ducolon

Electronics are used throughout the average everyday life, being used for recreation, listening to music, working, as well as socially interacting with one another or planning one’s day.

During the school day at Auburn High School the usage of electronics inside of the classroom is not allowed, as stated on page 20 of the 2014-2015 student handbook, “While on school property or while attending school-sponsored or school-related activities, students shall not use personal electronic devices including, but not limited to cellular phones, iPods, etc. in a manner that poses a threat to academic integrity, disrupts the learning environment or violates the privacy rights of others.”

While the handbook states that students may not use electronics on the premises of Auburn High during the school day or a school-related event, the handbook lists a few exceptions to these rules. Students may use personal electronic devices in the case of an emergency or if an administrator of the school says that the student may use the designated electronic device.

Sophomore Andruw Webster said that usage of electronics, for the purpose of listening to music, should be allowed within the school “because science has proven it helps people learn.” Sophomore Brian Watson agrees with Webster, he said that students are able to focus more while listening to music as “it’s been scientifically proven.”

Sophomore Anna Ybarra disagrees with Webster and Watson, she said “the no music policy is good,” as it “helps students listen” during class time.

Though she believes that the music policy is good, Ybarra said that “headphones should be allowed during work time,” though not during the teachers lecture, “how can you hear the lecture if you have headphones in?”

According to musicandmemory.org, “our brains are hard-wired to connect music with long-term memory.” While people are able to sustain the memory in the long-term, they will not remember it in the near future, as it has been stored in their long-term memory. While student’s test scores would not be affected by listening to music, students will remember the information learned later on in life.

Even if people do not sustain the knowledge in the short-term memory, as long as students believe that listening to their music during class time works, then there is a good chance that it will work for them.

This process is known as the placebo effect. Most commonly, the placebo effect occurs when a person takes a pill for whatever their ailment is. The ailment is then cured, due to the person taking the pill. After the person takes the pill and is cured, they may learn that the sugar pill they took was not proven to help improve their condition at all.

The pill worked to cure the person’s ailment, as the person who took the pill believed that the pill would work.

While students may not know for sure whether or not listening to music help their classroom performance is actually scientifically proven, they believe that it is which then allows for the placebo effect to take place; this allows the students to perform better, purely because they believe that they will.