Holiday traditions change through the years

Yulenni Venegas, Troy InVoice Reporter

From the transition between childhood and adolescence, holiday traditions follow the trends.

Trend number one. Family only. For many students, winter is a time to gather with family and celebrate the holidays. Regarding the two week holiday break, senior Gabrielle Meier is very excited. “You get to spend more time with family than you normally do and that’s the best part of it,” said Meier.

Meier is one of several students who like the extra time with family. Senior Kyle Orsini said, “Usually during the last four days around Christmas I just hang out with the family. The night before, my whole family read[s] The Night Before Christmas every single year and get the fireplace going.”

Trend number two. Family and friends. As students grow older their priorities sometimes change from family to friends. “It’s more about just having the people you care about closest to you,” junior Alyssa Ramsey said about getting holiday time with her friends.

Some join friends on special nights. “In recent years I’ve gone to a friend’s house on Christmas Eve, I’d get them things and we would hang out for a while,” senior Miguel Morris said.

Morris also remembers the childhood anticipation for presents that began with staying up late at night. Morris said, “Sometimes I wouldn’t even go to bed.” Like many youngsters, Morris woke his parents very early. He would get up “at six in the morning and be like ‘hey is it time to [open the presents] yet?’ and they’re like ‘Go to bed’.”

For these students, however, this kind of childhood elation has somewhat dulled and lessened in recent years. “But as time goes by I became sleepier and sleepier and now my sister is the one who’s waking me up at 9:00 A.M.,” Ramsey said.

Trend number three. My own tradition. As students grow older the changes affect many holiday traditions and may even include buying their own “gifts” whenever they need them.

“I think one of the main reasons [for the change] is because I’m more self-reliant,” Morris said. “I see myself as a very independent individual so I think that if I want something, instead of getting it under the tree, I can now provide myself with those things.

Other students also find new traditions beyond presents. Sophomore Christopher Tran said he is “going to stay in all day and play video games” during the upcoming winter break.

Jesus Perez joins him as a fellow video game enthusiast. “I usually play online,” Perez said, “My friends [and] I sometimes connect through the console and talk through the mic.”

Both students admit their holiday breaks had been spent with their family when they were younger. “My parents would plan a trip somewhere, [but for] the past two years we haven’t gone [on a trip],” Tran admits.

Some students have gone through all three trends listed above, and others have managed to only transition to one, or simply remained in one particular stage their entire life. Such is the case of Alyssa Ramsey, who said she used to “sit on the foot of [her parent’s] bed and stare at them while they tried to sleep” when she was young and woke up in the middle of the night in anticipation for Christmas morning.