Happiness not found in Happy Meals

Jorge Hoolahan, Troy InVoice Reporter

L-cysteine, silicon dioxide, cellulose, and dimethylpolysiloxane. Human hair, sand, wood and silly putty plastic all have at least one thing in common.

According to mnn.com (Mother Nature Network), these substances are all found in some food. Some people of the earth no longer eat food, they eat food like products. The most common place to eat fool-like products would be at a fast food outlet. According to Merriam-webster.com, the definition of food is: “Material consisting essentially of protein, carbohydrate, and fat used in the body of an organism to sustain growth, repair, and vital processes and to furnish energy.” There is no current official definition of food-like products

Out of eight randomly selected juniors and sophomores, all report negative effects after eating fast food.

One example of a food like product would be McDonald’s brand fries.

Half of the calories in a small order of French fries are fat and citric acid along with preservatives that are a main reason for the immortality of the fries, according to salon.com. Another factor of food being immortal is, “anything that is high in fat will be low in moisture,” Barry Swanson told salon.com.

Circulating on the internet is a photo that depicts two jars, one says “MCDONALDS FRIES 23 12 08” the other says “KFC FRIES 23 12 2008.” Both jars contained fries aged for close to three years. The McDonald’s fries are darker, but look all the same. The KFC jar of fries looks as if they were sprinkled with confectioners’ sugar and smooshed to the bottom of the jar. (Photo at http://imgur.com/a/LKx2z)

Some fast food fries contain so much salt and preservatives that not even flies can lay eggs upon them. These fries are so unnatural they cannot decompose as any natural food does.

Possible side effects of eating fast food include cancer, obesity and diabetes.  McDonald’s and other fast food outlets have challenged this claim that eating fast food contributes to cancer, obesity, and diabetes.

The dangers of fast food can be seen in the movie Supersize Me, where a healthy, non-smoking, non-drinking man, Morgan Spurlock chose to live entirely off of McDonald’s food for an entire 30 days.

Spurlock’s summary of his results is this; “In only 30 days of eating nothing but McDonald’s I gained 24.5 lbs”

“… My body fat percentage went from 11 to 18%, still below the average of 22% for men and 30% for women.” At the rate Morgan was gaining fat, he would surpass the body fat average for a male in less than two months.

Spurlock said that eating only fast food left him exhausted and depressed, that his “my mood swung on a dime, and my sex life was non-existent.”  Not only did his personality change, he also became a fast food addict, “I craved this food more and more when I ate it, and got massive cravings when I didn’t.” Spurlock’s dilemma is right here at AHS.

The same eight randomly selected students were also asked what they prefer: school lunch or fast food. Two answered school lunch, the other six, fast food. Like Spurlock, all but one of the fast food consumers admitted negative effects.

Does a happy meal truly produce happiness? When a child gets fast food, does he or she grow ecstatic and restless? Yes, but not over how the meal tastes but the immense amounts of sugar and caffeine.