Teachers educate students in relationships

Mikaela Clark, Troy InVoice Reporter

Teachers at Auburn High School are deeply connected to their students and they often play a huge role in their students’ life. It can, therefore, be assumed that advice to students to better themselves can make an impact. At AHS, many students are involved in relationships. If a teacher gives direction on improving a relationship, it is likely the students will accept it.

Students in the cafeteria were asked about the difference between love, and being in love. Most came to the conclusion that they didn’t know the difference. English teacher Mrs. Donna Bowler commented about the difference and said, “You can love someone and recognize they are not good for you. Being in love with someone means knowing all their strengths and faults and loving them because, not despite, those faults. Being in love should also make you feel great about yourself and who you are.”  French teacher Mr. Greg Isham also commented, “Loving someone is an act… being in love is a feeling or a state of mind.” So there it is, there is a difference between love and being in love.

Many teenagers don’t understand the opportunities missed when all of their attention is focused on just one person. Health and Family and Consumer Sciences teacher Mrs. Cindy Pratt advised, “Be a high schooler in high school. Enjoy your family, find friends, figure out your values and goals.”Pratt said that as much as students “butt heads” with family members, students should realize that “these are your last days of family vacations, having your parents on the sidelines of your games, even the dreaded family dinner, because soon you will be on your own.” Regarding the difference between friends and loved ones Pratt said, that friends “A last a lifetime and the stupid “love” relationship you chase will have come & gone by the time you find ‘The right one.’”

It may be hard to balance a love life, friendships, and school all out, but in the end learning to balance all these will be worth it. If any advice is needed and the advice coming from friends and family is getting pretty repetitive, try to go around and ask teachers what they think. They can share good advice which maybe will make a difference. When fallen on hard times, teachers are here to listen. Regarding high school relationships, Mrs. Bowler wants to remind students that, “Yes, you’ll get over it.”