Letter from the Editor

The Troy InVoice to write their own obituary?

Justina Brown, Troy InVoice Editor-in-Chief

Around the world an epidemic is ensuing. Traditions that have lasted decades are ceasing to exist. Newspapers are dying and there are few places left to run their obituary. Now, Auburn High School is faced with this same problem and Trojan Journalism students are left to make tough decisions. The Troy InVoice has fallen victim to this malignant disease that has slowly been killing the student run newspaper for a number of years.

Print newspapers are dying, that’s a hard fact we can no longer ignore. Professional newspapers are going out of print, heading to the online world of websites, videos, and real time news information. Student newspapers are following suit as technology threatens to shake the very foundation of print journalism. It’s not just the internet that’s killing the Troy InVoice though. The impending demise of the paper is more likely to come from lack of student enthusiasm and little willingness to save a 40 year old tradition. That isn’t to ignore the dedicated students currently on staff; it’s simply another fact that must be accounted for. Having a staff made up of roughly a dozen students isn’t ideal but next year when only five return, long hours are going to be stretched to even longer hours.

So our small but dedicated staff is faced with a question no one should have to face. A question parents should never hear. A question family should never be asked. A question that needs an answer, no matter how difficult it’s going to be to deliver one. Do we need to let the Troy InVoice die or keep fighting for what we’re passionate about?

We’re getting some answers. Slowly but surely we’re piecing together a ripped up plan that may just save us. At the same time, we’re making sure to stay realistic in our ambitions and dreams. Only so much can be done on our end, the other part is you, our dedicated (or not so dedicated) readers. When businesses shut down it’s because no one wants to buy their products, or at least very few people do. When a newspaper shuts down it’s because no one want to read what they have to say. And, as much as we don’t want to admit it, we might be there right now.

So we ask you, our readers. Are we chasing after something that’s already dead, or trying to revive a still living part of Auburn High School?