Sanders’ extreme sport

Dylan Kludsikofsky, Troy InVoice Reporter

When a person thinks about Extreme Sports, some of the first people they might think of are Evil Knievel or Travis Pastrana.
On April 1, 1979 The Dangerous Sports Club of Oxford University conducted its first modern bungee jump off of the Clifton Suspension Bridge in Bristol, England. From England the club went to the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco, California.
In the last decade the term extreme sport was taken to the next level when the Extreme Sports Channel, Extreme.com, launched. Then the X Games were created and developed by ESPN. The first X Games were held in 1995 in Newport, Rhode Island; Providence, Rhode Island; and Mount Snow, Vermont.
Some people’s motivation for doing extreme sports is trying to induce what is an adrenaline rush from fear. But, according to studies done by Eric Brymer (Extreme Dude: A Phenomenological Perspective on the Extreme sports experience University of Wollongong, Australia, 2005), the adrenaline rush is different. The extreme sports “rush” produced higher levels of serotonin, dopamine, and endorphins, caused by the level of physical exertion.
People with disabilities even participate in extreme sports, because the help of nonprofit organizations like Adaptive Action Sports, which is helping people with disabilities get into extreme sports.
From Aerobatics (stunts performed in flight by an airplane or glider) to Xpogo (extreme pogo sticking), extreme sports cover a wide range of sports. Extreme cheer can even be considered an extreme sport. For more information about extreme sports go to extremefreestyle.wordpress.com.
There are several students at our school who are involved in some sort of extreme sport from motocross to rugby.
When interviewing students, one students’ sport stood out; junior Adam Sanders a Professional Dirt Bike Hill Climber. He has been riding dirt bikes since he was four and has been hill climbing for almost seven years, “Extreme sports are sports that can be dangerous and causes a lot of adrenaline pumping through your body,” Sanders commented. With all the different extreme sports out there Sanders chose this one because, “It gives me a major rush and once I started I couldn’t stop.” Extreme sports are known for being dangerous, and Sanders’ is no exception “Your bike can flip on you, you can tumble down the hill, you can fall on your paddle tire, you can fly off your bike, your bike can have something wrong with it and mess up,” said Adam. Extreme sports take place all over the world, but the closest places around the Northwest are only a few of hours away. Sanders shared that he races in “Port Angeles, Montana, Idaho, Yakima” these are some of closest hill climbs in the area.
Whether someone reading this is looking to participate in an extreme sport or not, they are a fun and thrilling reason to go outside.

Adam Sanders, a junior at Auburn High School and extreme sports enthusiast, spends many weekends Hill Climbing at nearby riding areas.