Selfie syndrome sweeps student body

Le Ann Pele, Troy InVoice Reporter

“Selfies” seem to be sweeping the nation, and have become a worldwide trend. According to Wikipedia, “a selfie is a self-portrait photograph, typically taken with a hand-held digital camera or camera phone.” Selfies are typically taken at arms length, or taken with the advantage of reflections in mirrors, and are usually shared over social media. A selfie can scale the tower of popularity in favor of a person’s network depending upon how many “likes” or “double-taps” received. Teenagers and young adults are mostly part of the selfie syndrome. Being a part of the “Selfie Syndrome” means being a selfie fanatic and a fond lover of the trending fad.

Selfies have always been around, ever since cameras have been made in handheld forms, yet they have been called other names, such as the name of self-portrait. The word “selfie” has become such a trend in itself, that it promotes taking selfies. Selfies have also been promoted as a trend and have became more universal since the song “Selfie” by The Chainsmokers was released on January 28, 2014. Due to the popular line written in the song, “But first, let me take a selfie,” the trend continues to grow and has been further promoted as it hit Twitter’s #1 trend, even starting the “Selfie Olympics” on January 3. People were encouraged to take crazy bathroom mirror selfies and compete for the best one by using the hashtag, #selfieolympics. There was no reward for the #selfieolympics, simply just the amount of networking received from the amount of retweets given.

Selfies seem to be taken more commonly by females than males. More females have admitted to being guilty of the trend compared to males according to an informal survey taken around the school. Junior Megan Carver claims to have taken an interest in the trend, “I don’t take that many, but I do take some.” Carver does not consider herself to be a die-hard selfie addict and knows her limits when it comes to the amount of photos, “there’s more to life than selfies.” Carver does admit to be a fan of taking selfies and her personal intake from it is simply, “if you feel pretty and feel the need to take a picture of yourself, do it.”

Senior Maggie Elston is also quite fond of the selfie syndrome. “The definition of a selfie is taking a picture of my beautiful self,” Elston confidently and jokingly wrote in her survey. Elston admits to taking selfies all the time and prides herself in taking “beautiful selfies.” Elston completely agrees with the trend, encouraging her peers to take as many selfies as possible, and to love the trend as much as she does.

Both senior Becca Dayrit, and junior Dakota Mendoza admit to taking selfies but don’t necessarily claim to be a victim of having the selfie syndrome. Both ladies take pride in the selfies that they take, and on Dakota’s behalf, she states that she “can get creative” with the pictures that she takes. Even though these ladies seem to take a minor interest in the trend, neither are a fan of people who take an excessive amount of selfies and “clog up their dashboards/timelines.” Mendoza said. “Some people do it too much,” added Mendoza. “I’m a fan of the trend if I don’t see multiple selfies of the same person in one day on a social media site/app,” Dayrit adds.

Male students seemed to be less interested in the trending topic. Seniors Jose Rivera, Jaykob Sloan, and Daerell Beck, all admit to taking selfies a few times, but do not consider themselves to be deathly interested in the trend and don’t necessarily take part in it, neither do they take pride in the selfies they take. All three young men considered themselves fans of the trend, however amongst themselves, they have agreed that they have found it appealing, are not personally involved and enjoy being entertained with other people’s selfies rather than entertaining other people with their selfies.

Senior Payton Berens, Auburn High School’s ASB president, is against the selfie trend entirely, “The definition of a selfie is a picture of yourself. Mostly a FEMALE activity.” Berens emphazises on female. Berens denies being a victim of taking any selfies and when asked if he was a part of the selfie syndrome, his response was, “heck no, techno.” Instead of the selfie trend, Berens is a fan of a trend that he has created himself called the “front-facing camera photos” which is practically a loophole for selfies. “Front facing camera pictures are completely different.” Berens stated, “front facing camera pictures are technically selfies but with other people in it, which makes it okay.” Berens only admittedly agrees with selfies if the person partaking in them is a female, and disagreed with males taking selfies. “My personal opinion for taking selfies is… don’t.”

Andrew Hernandez, who attends Auburn as a junior, disagreed with Berens and looked at selfies on a more positive note. “Yes I am a victim of taking selfies,” said Hernandez. Hernandez had nothing negative to say about selfies and believed that “everyone deserves to do their own thing” despite being judged for it, “If you count taking selfies with Mr. Kaup sleeping on a plane during our recent journalism trip to San Diego, then yes, I have the selfie syndrome.” Hernandez’s personal opinion of taking selfies is that, “you can take all the selfies you want, unless you’re wearing all camo. #shotsfired.” Hernandez also was a big fan of the Selfie Olympics on Twitter.

Regardless if people seek to engage in the selfie syndrome or not, selfies have become a nationwide trend and it is hard to believe if one is unfamiliar with the trend. Some students agree with the trend, others do not, either way, selfies are the talk of the town and thousands are posted on social media daily.