Trapped in COVID-19

Trapped in COVID-19

Seleen Love, Editor-in-Chief

For the past seven months, everyone has been trapped in one way or another because of COVID-19. People have had to stay in their houses, they could not go to work, they couldn’t see people outside of their immediate families, they had just about everything canceled and their daily lives thrown upside down. Now students are not allowed to attend school, and nearly every school is online in Washington State.

At first many thought this pandemic was something to joke about and did not need to be taken seriously. Soon everyone was thrown into a lockdown. People were not supposed to leave their homes unless it was essential, which was limited to very few things. A large part of the population lost their jobs because only essential workers could work.

However, many still thought of this as something that could not be worse than the flu, so they went out. They hung out with friends, went to places that were still open and just thought everything was fine. This was not the case, more than 200,000 people in the United States have died so far, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Washington attempted to reopen but soon needed to close businesses back down. People are still not supposed to have large gatherings and should try to limit themselves when seeing other people. Almost everything has come to a halt: school, sports, work and social lives. Some could say it is heartbreaking to see what is happening right now.

Washington state as a whole is still trapped because of COVID-19, and if people do not take it seriously, Washington may take a long time to return to normal. There might have to be a new normal for everyday life but hopefully one day COVID-19 will not have everyone trapped.

Help Washington open up quicker

• Practice social distancing
  • Wear masks (over the nose)
  • Avoid big social gatherings
  • Make sure that you feel 100 percent before you go out
  • Limit the amount you go out
  • Get tested if you experience symptoms