President Addresses COVID-19, WHO Calls Pandemic

Joshua Collins, Staff Writer

In an address to the nation on Wednesday night, President Donald Trump has banned travel from Europe to the United States due to COVID-19 (Coronavirus), after the World Health Organization (WHO) deemed the virus to be a pandemic.

Members of the European Union have disagreed with Mr. Trump’s policy. In the joint statement released by President von der Leyen and President Michel, they describe the virus as a “global crisis, not limited to any continent and it requires cooperation rather than unilateral action.” This travel ban, having to be clarified after the speech was live, also applies to citizens who are currently abroad. During the speech written by Stephen Miller and Jared Kushner, Mr. Trump was adamant on the fact that it was a “foreign virus,” blaming it on Europeans and Chinese.

WHO, the World Health Organization, has also labeled COVID-19 as a pandemic, something that they have not called since 2009. In 2009, an outbreak of the flu caused the protocol to be used.

As well as on the local level, Governor Jay Inslee has called off gatherings of 250 people or more. This decision has canceled many future events here at Auburn High School including Future Freshman Night, Grease, and Parent-Teacher Conferences. It also brings up the possibility of our district closing. There is a chance, as said by a teacher this morning, that Spring Break will not be cancelled and we will be out of school by June 19. But, until AHS has a case or if the scenario grows too large, school will stay in session. This does not stop many teachers from preparing for the possibility of teaching students online.