Corona Virus cancels CWU Windfest

Hannah McLaughlin, Staff reporter

On March fifth the Auburn High School Wind Ensemble was supposed to attend the Central Washington University wind fest, they had planned on performing ‘Western Dance’ by Claire Grundman, ‘A Hymn for Band’ by Hugh Stewart and ‘Liberty Bell’ by John Philip Sousa.

Central Washington University Wind Fest is a festival where bands from all over Washington state can come and perform music for other bands and also Adjudicators. A band Adjudicator essentially acts as a judge for band competitions. After a band has performed they get the opportunity to have a session with one of the Adjudicators who help the band improve their playing. It is an overall amazing learning experience, it also bonds band students together. 

Each year the wind ensemble attends this festival, but this year it was cancelled due to fear of the COVID-19  corona-virus. This is not the only event that has been cancelled because of Corona-Virus and is affecting Auburn High School students. The Washington Journalistic Education Association (WJEA) state competition which was supposed to be held on March 7th was cancelled. Along with The Robotics competition that was supposed to be hosted by Auburn Mountain view on March 7th  was also cancelled due to concerns of the COVID-19 corona-virus. 

Lewis Norfleet stated that “While we are disappointed about this cancellation, it is the best thing for students families, teachers and the community at large.” Not only is Norfleet disappointed, so are many students. Senior, Gabriel Kindell said “I am very upset. Every year I look forward to going to and participating in CWU windfest.” For many students this was their last year to attend and that was taken away from them. 

The band will now be performing the music they had intended to play at windfest at the Green River Music Educators Association (GRMEA) music festival on April 18th. The GRMEA music festival will be in the Auburn High School performing Arts center and many bands that we’re going to attend windfest will be in attendance.