Boys Basketball Heading to State for the First Time in Years

Gabriel Kindell and Kasidy Love, Staff

STATE BOUND- The boys basketball team has done a phenomenal job this year. They dominated at sub-districts, played back to back games during mid-winter break for districts and have high hopes for regionals this weekend and for state the following weekend.

The boys basketball team, for the first time in nine years, are the North Puget Sound League (NPSL) champions. The league-clinching win occurred during senior night against cross-town rival, Auburn Riverside, in a close game of 55 to 49. Sophomore #12 Maleek Arington, said it ”felt great” to become the NPSL champion team, the best part was “knowing we were the underdogs; it shocked everyone.”

Mr. Hansen, Varsity Boys Basketball Coach, said the last time Auburn was league champions was “2011”. 

Arington’s best game this year was “against Auburn Mountainview because I blocked a dude off the backboard, so it was my first block”. Auburn crushed Mountainview this year in December with a win of 61 to 32 and in January with another win of 67 to 36. 

During mid-winter break, the boys had back to back games against Sumner, South Kitsap, Olympia and Federal Way. But the boys are dealing with it with no problem. “It’s not stressful at all, in the off-season we play back to back games so I’m used to it” said Senior #13 Darrel Hester.

One of the key reasons the boys are dealing with the pressure so well is the team spirit. “There is no pressure at all,” said Senior #22 Cornelius Lee. Lee also said the season has been “fine and tough at the same time but we always have each other’s back.”

There is an upcoming regional game this Saturday at 6pm, taking place at Jackson High School against the Glacier Peak Grizzlies. The players are hyped for the game and ready to win. “We’ll come out and play well, we know what this game means to us” said Sophomore #2 Trevon Blassingame.

Our boy’s basketball team has an amazing opportunity this year; to play at the State Championship, taking place at the Tacoma Dome. Hester, says it “feels good because it’s my senior year, there is no better year than this.” The basketball schedule depends on if they win against Glacier Peak making next week’s first state game either Wednesday or Thursday. Trojans can support the basketball team by congratulating them in the hallways or joining “The Pit”.