Solo and Ensemble Competition

Gabriel Kindell, Staff Reporter

Auburn High band students participated in Solo and Ensemble which is a regional competition that took place at Auburn Riverside High School on Saturday, February 1st. 

This year is the best Auburn High has done in the last 7 years with our students bringing home 6 superior ratings. Groups that got superior ratings are the Woodwind Quartet, Saxophone Quartet, the Small Town Brass Quintet and Soloists Cameron Charles, and Chris Stumpel. “Having the music prepared and staying focused was a big struggle we faced as a group” said Raleigh Purdy who is apart of the Small Town Brass Quintet.

What is Solo and Ensemble? Solo and Ensemble is a regional competition that has been run by the Washington Music Education Association (WMEA) every year since the 1920s. There are many cities that participate in this competition including Auburn, Kent, White River, Enumclaw, Tahoma, Carbonado, and Dieringer school districts. 

Getting ready for this is not easy, lots of time and energy is put into preparing the music and getting the group to sound the best it can. “Getting articulation and rhythm correct was a big struggle I faced,” said soloist Cameron Charles. The amount of care and effort put into this carries over when the students come back together to be one big ensemble, getting ready for the next upcoming event where they are performing at Central Washing University, March 5th.