Are teachers or students responsible for dropping out?

Arianne Garduno, Staff Member

There are times where student efforts can result in failure. When we experience failure, it can often link to our sense of self-worth and it can affect students gravely. When both adults and students experience failure we regularly try to find the cause for the failure. However, when this failure affects our self-worth it could lead students to play the blame game. For students, who are in constant pressure to have grades good enough to help get a job. Societies constant expectations that make people feel like a failure, can be a big blow. We each hold our opinion who holds responsibility for a student to succeed. However, is this an honest reasoning or an excuse?

In order to find what the problem is we need to find the main obstacles between a student and success. 

Students success is often measured by graduation rate. The Auburn High School graduation rate of 2019 was 79.2% compared to 68.5% in 2017. The numbers over the years have increased greatly. The school administration has brought in several programs to increase student success. Ever since last year during the summer, teachers took the Capturing Kids’ Heart Program, this program which tries to give students a welcoming environment. Capturing Kids Hearts includes teachers shaking the hands of each student at the beginning of the period. The program believes that a  handshake could prepare a student for class and a future job.

If teachers are putting all these efforts to help students, what is holding back that 20.8% of students from graduating? According to an Auburn counselor, most of the students that did not graduate are dropouts. According to Jon Morrow counselor of Auburn High School, most reasons for failing were “-absences, missing assignments, failing classes, and incomplete Career Cruising.” These events ultimately lead to dropout.

But are these obstacles the responsibility of the teachers or the students?

Teachers were interviewed to understand first hand what the obstacles of the students are, and what they are doing about it. When asked the main reason for their students not being able to pass their class the most common answers were, not turning in assignments on time, and not keeping track of what’s due. “Mostly not doing the assignments that it takes to keep a good grade or understand the material well enough for the test. But, not doing the assignments is the killer,” said Next Gen Science teacher Mrs. Pena.

Teachers who are doing good things such as shaking hands, tutoring students, and positive encouragement are doing their responsibility.  It is up to the students, then, to do theirs.