Three hundred sixty four graduate during 113th Commencement

Back to Article
Back to Article

Photos by Isaiah Hoagland, Trojan Journalism Photographer

On Fathers Day, Sunday, June 16, Auburn High School held its’ 113th Commencement on Troy Field. A crowd of  3000 filled the home stands with another estimated 750 in the away stands. The event began with the Auburn High School Graduation Band playing a brief Prelude.  The  seniors  walked in to the strains of the traditional “Pomp and Circumstance” played by the Band.  The seniors were led by faculty and staff volunteers who were assigned to rows.

Senior class president John Kozma led the Pledge of Allegiance which was followed by “The Start Spangled Banner” sung by the AHS Symphonic Choir and senior choir members.  Jacinth Bunag and Caitlin Weber gave the student commencement addresses.  The choir performed “Hold Fast to Dreams” and “Seasons of Love” between and after the addresses.

Principal Jeff Gardner presented the class of 2019 which was accepted by Superintendent Alan Spicciati.  School Board members Laurie Bishop and Ray Vefik presented the diplomas.

Mr. Gardner gave a warm tribute to Mr. Vefik who is retiring from the School Board after decades of service.  Gardner said that Vefik was a role model of volunteerism for students to emulate.

During his address to the seniors, Mr. Gardner spoke about making good choices in life and how “good choices lead to great stories.”  Gardner said that he was “so proud of the seniors” who rose to the occasion and made good choices that led to great success.  Gardner mentioned the example of Senior Prom which he said was “nothing short of amazing, with zero issues or drama.”  The Senior Prom was “250-300 kids having a great time under one roof.”  Gardner added that the lack of issues or drama is “basically unheard of” today.

The seniors were encouraged to pay attention to what others have done who came before them and to always “work with respect and organization.”  Gardner quoted Russell Wilson that “Success leaves clues.”  He ended by thanking the seniors for leaving some wonderful clues for the underclassmen about how to succeed.

“I cannot be more proud of a group of young people,” said Gardner.

The event joyously ended with the 364 graduates doing the traditional graduation cap toss.