First year at high school experience

Back to Article
Back to Article

First year at high school experience

Kassie Elliott, Staff Member

My first year at Auburn High School has been challenging but on the other hand, it’s been pretty fun. I’ve met new people and become closer with people I already knew. There’s definitely been ups and downs but that’s all a part of life. I also feel like high school gives you more freedom and teaches you important lessons that you need in the real world.

One thing I’ve realized is that middle school does not prepare you for the amount of work you will get in high school, especially if you take honors and AP classes like I did. Personally, I struggled with having time to get my work done and having time for myself. A good idea is to surround yourself with people who make you feel good about yourself and not people who bring you down. I think having close friends is important because then you have people to go to that understand you better in certain aspects.

Something I’m glad I did was join the Troy InVoice class where we write articles for the school newspaper and the trojan journalism website. It has allowed me to get out of my comfort zone by interviewing people for different articles when that’s not something I would normally do. We also learned how to use the cameras which was really interesting and fun. It’s given me a chance to improve my writing and it’s something I’m proud of.

Overall, this year has been a little rough but mostly good. I’ve learned it’s good to try new things and to get out of your comfort zone a little.