TREAD Outside of Competitions

Back to Article
Back to Article

TREAD Outside of Competitions

Katie Kosanovich, Staff Member

TREAD, which stands for Trojan Robotics Engineering And Design, isn’t just about it’s competition season. They do events outside of competitions, and they always make sure that their new members feel welcome. They help their community, and do everything they can to make a difference.

The students of TREAD wear their green shirts to show the pride they have in Auburn High as well as representing the Trojans on and off of the field. They also build robots, and show them off in all of their outreach to tell people about careers using STEM that they might be interested in. They wouldn’t be able to do what they have done without the students who are good engineers. They design, build, and program their robot. But they’re not the only people who belong. They also need people who have an artistic eye to help with how the team looks. They need people who can design their t-shirts, and people who can help make the pits look nice. They need people who are good artists to help them advertise the team. You don’t have to be an engineer to have a place in robotics, anyone can come and find something that they can do to contribute to the team.

TREAD focuses on building a robot for competition during build season, and while they are competing they focus on making sure the bot is the best it can be. But the competitions aren’t just about the robot. That’s not all that goes into making a successful  robotics team. 

Outside of Competitions, they do a lot of work in their community, anytime anyone needs help they volunteer.

The team participated in the Auburn Clean Sweep where they painted foot prints to advertise the new statue at the King County Library. They also helped plant some vegetation around the library.

TREAD is hosting a scratch class for highly capable students. They meet on Mondays and Wednesdays, and the students in TREAD teach them how to use scratch, and what each of the blocks do. The goal is to get kids interested in programming, and possibly interested in joining robotics. Earlier in the year, the team did a scratch class at the Auburn Library, where anyone could come. That class met every Thursday.

The team also participated in the Santa Parade. They had their robot, Princess Buttercup, driving around, and they told people about FIRST, and what TREAD does. They wanted to get people interested in pursuing a career that involved STEM.

They always make sure that the new members feel welcome, and that they are learning as much as they can. The members continue to learn throughout their entire high school career, and the older kids help the younger ones learn how to use the machines, or learn how to CAD, or any of the other things that they do. The mentors also help all of the students learn, even if they think that they know everything.