Artist explains Art in Public Places Program in school commons

Back to Article
Back to Article

Alan Martinez, Editor In Chief

Washington’s state arts commission (ArtsWA) Art in Public Places Program works with K-12 public Schools, colleges, universities, and state agencies to obtain artwork for their campuses and public buildings. The state of Washington has a law that ½ percent of one percent of the budget for a new building goes into art for the public building.

Alex Hirsch, artist of the “Sky Dance” provided a 15-20 minute presentation to four Auburn high CTE classes on Tuesday, May 1st.  Sky Dance is located in the Auburn high commons,which others may know as the lunch room.

Hirsch has always made things in her early years. She knew she might want to study art but never thought of it as a career, Hirsch said, “I never saw myself as an artist” until her junior year of high school, Hirsch also added that this took lots of steps in her life.

“It was a step after step process”.

Some of the things that inspired Hirsch were other artist and even other peoples art. She always told herself “If they can do It I can to”.

Artist Hirsch always tries to communicated something through her work.

When artist Hirsch started to work on the schools art glass she wanted to communicate something to the students. Before starting to work on her piece she  wanted to fulfill some criteria she learned from the school. She also met with 5 different CTE classes and asked students “during the day when you walk in into the commons do you need to be energized or calm” and the answer was 50/50. She knew she wanted the glass to be linear in structure and wanted to make something that fulfilled  poetic results could also work with the environment of the school. She was looking for a balance that could work with the student body.

Hirsch had a budget to work with, she made 7 different designs “it was difficult resolving all the technical aspects, it took a lot of persistence” said hirsch when asked what where some of the challenges she had to overcome. Alex Hirsch glass art took about one year and a half to finish. She also spent about a week and a half in Germany working with people to make her art piece perfect, Her piece is all made out of glass.  

Overall Hirsch did not want to send a specific message but she wanted her glass art to be free to interpretations

“I wanted it to be uplifting and open to imagination for other students, I was told that the life of a student is very rigid, I was looking to show the students some relief during their day”.