College students offer tips for survival

Every high school student has worried about their future at least once in their lifetime. Many students going to college have questions and concerns.

Luckily, four college students were more than happy to share their experience and tips for worried students

Luke Patwell, a junior at Eastern Washington University, gave his advice:

What are some problems you encountered and how did you overcome them? 

I was really anxious about what classes I would have to take in college, it just seemed really overwhelming when I was looking at my degree on paper. It became 1000% easier when I started talking to my adviser somewhat regularly.” 

Lilah B. said,

“One problem immediately was navigating campus. To help fix this, I first made sure I have a map of the campus easily accessible on my phone at all times (I keep it in my notes app…”

Sonja Thompson, A junior at Alexandria Technical & Community College, offered this: 

What are some tips new college students should know? 

Absolutely don’t take 8 am (or even 9 am) classes. You’ll see this tip everywhere but I can’t stress it enough. My earliest class at the moment starts at 10 am and even that is a struggle for me to get to. I don’t stay up late at all but the energy that goes into being present in class and getting all of my schoolwork done requires those extra hours of sleep in the morning. Try to make at least one friend in each class. That way you’ll have someone you’re comfortable to sit by and if you miss class you can get notes and assignment info from them… ” 

Jordan Keltto added in,

If you don’t like the professor that you signed up for, don’t be afraid to switch out of the class for the first week. Remember, you’re the one paying for your education. Use your money wisely on a good education.” 

Jordan Keltto, a sophomore at Green River Community college, said this:

Are there any helpful resources students can use? 

Calling or emailing the school is a lifesaver, They will help you with anything they can. If you’re not sure, ask a staff member. They’ll lead you in the right direction. Also, the website ratemyprofessor.com. See other students reviews of professors to make sure the work in the class is right for you. It has saved my life so many times.”

Luke Patwell said,

Honestly, keep your eye on scholarships. There are so many out there so take advantage of them. Check scholarship websites.” 

Lilah B., a junior at Skagit Valley Community College (SVC), offered this advice: 

Is there anything new college students should avoid? 

“Don’t be late to nor skip any class for at least the first two weeks. Don’t buy from the vending machines everyday. Don’t let socialization become more important than your studying. Pull as few all-nighters as you can. Your brain needs rest, even if you can’t sleep.”

Jordan Keltto’s response gave more advice:

Avoid waiting until the day before to do a lot of work. College is very intense in terms of sourcing or other projects and things that should be basic can take hours. It’s also important to remember that 3 classes in college is considered full time. If you take 6 like in high school, you won’t have time to do anything else, including sleep. Take care of yourself.”