Trojan Journalism

Students and staff echo Seattle sentiments

Zane Caplan, Newspaper Staff

As Seattle continues to grow at a remarkable pace, many of its problems remain unfixed. Residents of Western Washington share varying positive and negative opinions about our huge city.

In a survey given out on the Auburn High School website, students and teachers had the option to respond with their personal opinions. As someone who really loves Seattle, some responses struck me by surprise.

Although, they definitely echo the ongoing sentiment for those growing tired of the issues plaguing our city. According to statistics from the survey, about 40% of the respondents chose “not great” for the question asking how they “feel about Seattle currently.”

Furthermore, in a question asking whether Seattle is “dying”, approximately the same amount chose “kind of.”

I personally find it difficult to believe that Seattle, the constantly growing and central northwestern city, is on the decline. Every year, Seattle gets more shops, restaurants, and other types of businesses. For better or worse (depending on who you ask), the area has changed greatly in the past 20 years.

Businesses, like Amazon, have grown to colossal heights. Technical advancements increasingly make their way to Seattle.

In fact, according to the 2017 CBRE Scoring Tech Talent report, Seattle ranks as the 2nd best tech city in the United States, only behind San Francisco.

As a result though, living costs have skyrocketed, affecting nearly everyone in Western Washington. About 20% of the responders feel that “living costs” are “the biggest issue in Seattle at the moment.”

In the same question, a little above 40% chose “homelessness”, which coincides with my opinion. The local government needs to figure out a system to minimize this glaring problem or modifications to leadership may be needed, in order to spark change.

One respondent feels that “the Seattle government is all talk and no action.”

If even some decline of homelessness occurs, crime lessens and people feel safer when downtown. Our voices carry tremendous weight, so I encourage all Washington residents to continue expressing their concerns until change occurs.

On a more positive note, I’m sure that many would agree that Seattle is one of the most culturally diverse cities in the United States. Across the survey, I constantly saw comments about diversity and opportunities.

One responder says “the diversity of people makes it possible to experience many cultures through the variety of programs and/or market offerings.”

The waterfront, Pike Place, Seattle Center, museums, restaurants, music and entertainment of Seattle are unmatched. People can truly see the spectacular beauty spread across numerous streets and avenues with the unsightly parts not in view. As reported by visitseattle.org, Seattle experienced more than 40 million visitors in 2018, with that number rising every year.

Unfortunately though, a little under 40% answered a clear “yes” to the survey question asking whether they would recommend a trip here. With a growing absence of hope, could my optimism about Seattle be in the minority? There is so much more to our great city than the bothersome problems, and as people of Washington State, we cannot forget that fact.