Trojan Journalism

Journalism students excel in Anaheim

Back to Article
Back to Article

Journalism students excel in Anaheim

Journalism Staff

Recently six Trojan Journalism students traveled with their advisers, Anna Marshall and Thomas Kaup, to the Journalism Education Association national convention held in Anaheim, California. The convention began on April 25th with a 5:00 AM flight to LAX.

After a trip to store luggage at the Hilton Anaheim, the six students and their chaperones headed to the world famous Disneyland.  For some, like yearbook Editor In Chief Sean Bessette, it was their first time at Disneyland.

“It was a ton of fun, my favorite ride was Splash Mountain,” said Bessette.  Other attendees were Jackson Conner, Lilly McGee, yearbook Managing Editor, Alan Martinez, newspaper Editor in Chief, Jacob Wheeler and Keilani Martin.

After the day at Disneyland the staff got down to work and participated in the workshops at the convention. The students also competed in the Write Offs, a competition that included over 1000 participants. Four students won national recognition for their work.

Sean Bessette won an Excellent award in Yearbook Copy/Caption Sports writing, Jackson Conner won an Honorable Mention in Sports Writing, Alan Martinez won an Honorable Mention in Portrait Photography, and Keilani Martin won an Honorable Mention in First Year Photography.

An early Sunday flight took off from LAX at 7:00 AM bringing the group back to Seattle.