Trojan Journalism

New school is so much more environmentally friendly than the 1950s building

Jonah Smith, Staff Reporter

Auburn Senior High School has put a much bigger effort into being eco-friendly than at the old building. AHS has made a more significant attempt to keep the new campus clean. Staff encourages students to be green by cleaning up after themselves and emphasizing that students recycle.  Even one individual can make a positive change for the environment by correctly throwing waste away.

Auburn High School has a Green Club that focuses on the benefits of recycling and being more environmentally friendly.   The head of the Green Club is Biology teacher Bess Owens. Owens says, “A big goal of the AHS Green Club is conservation of resources”. One main point of the club is to rethink how we throw away our waste. She wants to “emphasize to people to rethink how to reuse raw materials” as to “reduce the amount of total resources used”.

Along with a new building, Auburn High has added new environmentally friendly appliances. Some of these appliances are bottle filling stations by the name of Elkay EZh20. EZh20’s can reduce the number of plastic water bottles going into landfills. This slows pollution down by lessening the need to harvest new raw materials and saves materials and energy. This product helps to sustain the environment for future generations and allows products to be used to their fullest extent.  Auburn High has saved 55,186 bottles with EZh20’s as of October 19th.  The weight of an empty Dasani water bottle is 10.1 grams.  When taking the number of bottles saved and multiplying by 10.1 grams (weight of empty Dasani bottle) and converted to pounds, that equals 1228 pounds of plastic saved. That’s more than half a ton of recyclable plastic that would have been sent to a landfill or incinerator.

The quality of air on earth has been proven to have a negative effect on our health.  According to research conducted by the World Health Organization, air pollution is estimated to cause approximately 2 million premature (too early; done before the usual or proper time) deaths worldwide each year.  Recycling lessens the amount of pollution released into the atmosphere, slows the amount of waste sent to landfills/incinerators and saves natural resources such as water and vital minerals.  Recycling can also majorly reduce greenhouse gas emissions that contribute to global climate change. It can also help create new and well-paying careers in both the recycling and manufacturing industries.