Trojan Journalism

Dress code continues to be a hot topic

Jorge Hoolahan, Managing Editor

Jorge the Beautiful

The school dress code is and always will be a hot topic of discussion, because there are constant changes in our society of what we deem is and isn’t acceptable.

Not only is Auburn and every other schools’ dress code tailored around social rules, it’s tailored around security too. Take hats and sunglasses for example; I violently opposed the hat rule because I falsely understood that it was just for identification purposes and thought  if they already know who I am then why can’t I wear my hat. But I did not consider how gangs could affect that rule, nor did I consider what would happen if a shooter came into school, possibly due to

“It (gangs) is a concern the school and the district are aware of and keeping tabs on, it’s not necessarily a problem,” said Assistant Principle Mrs.DeAnna Kilga.

The main reason hats are not to be worn during school hours Kilga thinks, is “eliminating opportunities to intimidate” through a dress style.

The ban on sunglasses is mainly for identification purposes (eye color) and to make sure students aren’t under the influence.

Shirts and shorts is where the discussion gets heated, because there are so many sides to the issue.

Yes, the administration can be very strict with dress code (one morning on my way to breakfast I saw a girl being dress coded because one square inch of skin was showing on the side of her stomach). Keep in mind the admin perspective; they are trying to prepare students for life beyond high school, to hammer out all the inconsistencies so everybody will conform to social expectations and not stick out like a sore thumb.

When I read the student hand book, what struck me most was the language in which it was written. According to page 18 of the 2015-2016 handbook, “The display or promotion of alcohol, drugs, tobacco, sex, nudity, violence, gang behavior, or anything that disrupts the educational climate is prohibited. “

All this leads to another line of discussion: what if the dress code didn’t exist.

Kilga stated that if the dress code didn’t exist at all, she wonders if students would dress inappropriately for a while and just return to dress code after a week or two.

I think that would be a different story, there are already students pushing the boundaries of school dress code. Kilga spoke of a student who had worn a shirt with something inappropriate all day until the fifth hour, and when she talked to him, he was very respectful and understanding, “as if he knew he wasn’t allowed to wear it”.

Now imagine the same thing but now instead of the rules of dress code, it’s the rules of society. Since all students are still developing style and an understanding of what is socially acceptable (some later than others), I think it would take much longer than two weeks for students to develop an understanding about what is socially acceptable,

I think it would take two years for a student to understand what is acceptable and what is not, specifically freshmen and sophomore year. If we went off of what is socially acceptable instead of what the school deems socially acceptable, I think people would be more in touch with society than a handbook.

I agree with dress code on the circumstance of security, the rest however, should be decided by students, maybe this is a issue that people will actually vote on.